Having had my Introduction to knitting a month ago, I decided it was time to attempt to follow a knitting pattern. There were two patterns that I liked, one for a vintage 1940s shawl with a collar and the other for the Simple yet effective shawl by Laura Chau. I hadn’t realised what a mental challenge I had set myself! I had also set myself a tight deadline of 10 days, as I wanted to take it to a wedding.
The first obstacle was to work out how many balls of wool I would need and what kind of wool. Arty Crafty came to my rescue and equipped me with wool and shiny new knitting needles. I decided against the vintage pattern as it was going to be £30 worth of wool which seemed ambitious for a beginner!
I made a confident and progressive start but soon realised that it wasn’t looking like the picture! I had done increases instead of yarn over, so didn’t have any of the holes that made up the pattern!
So I started again!
Second attempt and, following the pattern correctly, it was looking much more like the picture. I tied some different colour wool onto my knitting so I could see where the middle was. However, I had only done about 10 rows and already my stitches were taking up quite a lot of the needles; there was no way all the stitches were going to fit. So I read the pattern again and noticed one small word I had missed – “circular” needles.
So I started again (after a panic dash to a few shops to find the right needles)! I also invested in some stitch markers to help keep the holes in the middle.
Third attempt, and everything was going well, until I got completely stuck. Apparently I had knitted into the wrong bit of one stitch but it was all my undoing and redoing that created the real chaos. I had a row of complete mess! Back to Arty Crafty for a rescue and I was away again.
By this time, I had spent so much time knitting that my neglected son had created a number of imaginative ways of knitting sabotaging, attention seeking. It is quite hard to finish a row with a small boy balancing on your leg or holding onto an elbow. Despite all this, after a week I had a finished shawl. I decided to add a big wooden button and crocheted loop to the front to help it stay on. Here is the final result:
I really enjoyed knitting this and it was perfect for an English summer evening. Next time, however, I will give myself a longer deadline and not attempt it during half term holidays!
Thanks for reading.